Super Visa Insurance. Personal & Flexible.
What is Super Visa Medical Insurance?
Every year, Canadian citizens and permanent residents invite their parents and grandparents to visit Canada under the Super Visa program. This initiative allows applicants to fast forward the application process and get approved for multiple-entry visa within a few weeks.
It has never been so easy to get your parents to come over to see their grandkids and spend some time with the family.
It is essential to have a proof of health insurance coverage from a Canadian Insurance company to be approved for the Super Visa.
Super Visa Insurance MUST:
• Be valid for a minimum of one year
• Cover health care, hospitalization and repatriation
• Provide a minimum coverage of $100,000
• Be valid for each entry to Canada and available for review by a POE officer
• Be purchased from a private Canadian insurance company
Please, read the Policy Wording and ask questions before you buy a plan. Once you purcahse it, you should always carry a proof of your medical insurance with you on a trip.
Super Visa: Program Summary
Parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents now have an alternative for visiting Canada. Starting December 1, 2011, they can apply for the Parent and Grandparent Super Visa, which is valid for up to 10 years and allows the applicant to stay in Canada for up to 24 months at a time, without having to renew their status. The good news is that most of the applications for the Super Visa are processed within a few weeks.
To be eligible for the Super Visa, the applicant MUST:
• Be the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada
• Be admissible for entry to Canada
• Provide a written commitment of financial support from their child or grandchild in Canada who meets a minimum income threshold
• Meet other certain conditions
To determine your eligibility, check processing times and apply for the Super Visa, please visit CIC’s website.
How to apply
- Use our Super Visa Insurance Calculator to see the options available to you from all Canadian insurance companies.
- From the list of quotes provided, choose the one you like and click on “Plan Details” on the right. Once you are re-directed to the chosen insurance company’s profile, you will see a detailed plan description along with the coverage options.
- Feel free to click on “How to Apply” button and watch a Video Tutorial that will guide you through the application process. You may skip the video and click on the “Buy Insurance” at the top of the page.
- The final step is the application process and payment. Filling out an application form should take only 5 to 10 minutes. You will be asked to enter some basic personal information such the date of birth, effective and expiry date for the insurance as well as you address in Canada. All what is left is to complete the purchase using your credit card. Once the payment is processed, your Insurance Policy is sent by email within a few minutes.
What is covered?
Depending on a medical insurance policy, certain features may be different. However, we have done our best to make a comprehensive summary of health benefits that are provided by the Super Visa medical emergency insurance.
• Hospital Accommodation
• Ambulance Services
• Emergency Air Transportation
• Emergency and Accidental Dental
• Prescription drugs
• Diagnostics and X-rays
• Medical Services and Hospitalization
• Repatriation (Emergency Home Return)
• Accidental Death and Dismemberment
• Visits to a Medical Specialist
• Follow up Treatment
• Nursing Care
• Medical Appliances Rental or Purchase
For a detailed coverage description please read the Policy Wording for the chosen insurance plan.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Who needs Super Visa medical insurance?
A: Super Visa medical emergency insurance is required to be submitted by all Super Visa applicants along with the application package to the Citizen and Immigration Canada office (CIC).
Q: What are the CIC requirements for the Super Visa medical insurance?
A: It is mandatory that the medical insurance for the Super Visa program is purchased from a private Canadian insurance company, valid for no less than 1 year and has at least $100,000 worth of total coverage.
It is also essential that the policy covers hospitalization, repatriation and emergency medical care.
Q: Is it necessary to buy a new one or extend the current medical insurance policy if the Super Visa holders remain in Canada for more than 1 year or come back after a while?
A: Yes, you must maintain $100,000 medical emergency coverage at all times while in Canada as well as you re-enter the country. You may be asked to present a proof of medical insurance coverage at the Canadian border.
Q: What if a Super Visa application is rejected, is there a refund for the medical insurance I have purchased?
A: Yes, you will receive a full refund in case Super Visa is not granted. You will need to submit to us a Refund Form along with a copy of rejection letter.
Q: What if I am not going to stay in Canada for the whole year and will go back home before the insurance expires?
A: In case of early departure, you will be partially reimbursed for the unused time on the policy period only if there were no claims made. For instance, if you are staying in Canada only 3 months and did not have any claims, you will be eligible for a 9 months refund.
Q: Is there any chance I can pay for the Super Visa insurance on a monthly basis?
A: Yes, there is a single insurance company in Canada that offers a Monthly Payment Plan that is designed specifically for Super Visa applicants.
This plan has been approved by the Canadian Government and can be used as a proof of medical coverage that is required for Super Visa.
Q: What document do I submit to the CIC office as a proof of medical coverage?
A: Once you purchase the policy, you will receive an email that contains the actual document. All you need to do is to upload it to you CIC account or print and send it along with the paper application package for Super Visa.
If you did not find your question here, please refer to our General FAQ.
Request to Change Your Policy Dates
In case you have already purchased your Super Visa health coverage, but wish to come to Canada later, all you need to do is to fill out an application form below at least 2 or 3 days before your policy period begins, and we will take care of it in a few minutes!