Here you can find valuable information for the first years living in Canada. Provided are links to websites for renting apartments, where to apply for Social Insurance Number (ID without which you can’t work or buy individual life or health insurance plan), application for Provincial Medical Service Plan in BC, telephone companies, free of charge internet access, different searches for people, educational sources, public and private schools, scholarships, diploma evaluations, public transportation schedule, how to start your own business, how to apply for patents in Canada etc.
For people, who are going to arrive
- Agency Timatic (Moscow) – Please share your opinion if you used their service.
- Agency Priceline.com – Please share your opinion if you used their service.
- Not expensive “Hostels” around Canada – There are 10 hostels or more in each province of Canada . Prices start from $20.
- The French Connection (Bed & Breakfast) Toronto – One more inexpensive hotel.
- Direct To Canada – Adaptation, when moving to Canada.
For people, who have just arrived
- Offices of Human Resources Development Canada – You should fill an application for Social Insurance Number (ID without which you can’t work or open a bank account) .
- Application for Provincial Medical Service Plan in BC – You can read all you need to know in BC.
- Buy Medical Insurance On-line For New Immigrants and Visitors to Canada – You can find everything you need to know.
- Buy Travel Medical Insurance On-line For Canadians and Visitors to Canada – Another Friendly Health Emergency Insurance Company For Travelers.
- Buy Canadian Health And Dental Insurance On-line – Health & Dental Insurance For Self Employed And Others which do not have Benefits from Employer.
- BC Hydro – Electrical monopoly in BC.
- Fortis BC Gas – Gas monopoly in BC.
- TELUS – local phone company – Monopoly in BC and Alberta local phone company. Telus is also a provider of high speed internet.
- Country Calling Codes – Long Distance International Codes Around The World.
- SHAW – local cable TV company – Semi-monopoly in BC in cable TV. Shaw is also a provider of high speed internet.
- Rogers – This is cable TV and provider of high speed internet.
- Search zip code in Canada using an address.
- Find your family doctor in BC – When you choose a city in BC you will see the list of family doctors which provided with languages these doctors speak.
Education in Canada
- BC Schools (Vancouver) – Vancouver School Board
- BC high school graduation exams – Thanks to Larissa Lavrentieva
- Free English Lessons in Internet – This is simple and nice
- ESL Cyber Listening Lab
- ESL Listening Lounge
- VOA News – Voice of America
- English as Second Language
- School/District Contacts – Map
- BC Ministry of Advanced Education – May be useful for you.
- Student Awards – You can apply for a scholarship from many different sources.
- One stop resource for learning and education opportunities – You can create your financial plan how to achieve your educational goal
- Scholarships in Canada
- School Finder
- Canada Education Saving Grant
- International Credential Evaluation Service
- Human Resources Development Canada
- Job for youth in Canada
- Employment Standards ( Government of BC) – Employment Standards ( Government of BC)
Rentals and Real Estate
- Rent Canada – See also local newspapers
- Canadian Homes for Rent – Fee based search shelters for rent
- Realty Link – Search Real Estate and businesses on sale around Canada
- Reatlor – Search Real Estate and businesses on sale around Canada
Other Useful Websites
- BC Translink – public transportation, schedules, map – You can find here the best path to your direction
- Cell phone and their plans research in Canada
- Fido – digital wireless services by Fido
- Small Business in Canada
- Patents and Copyright in Canada
- Credit bureau Equifax Canada
- Canada Customs and Revenue Agency – You can find many exciting things about taxes you should pay in Canada
- Canadian Child and Family Benefits
- Department of Justice Canada
- Acronyms in Canada and USA
- Dial a Dietitican – From B.C. Ministry of Health, the Vancouver/Richmond Health Board- Thanks Doctor Elena Vorobeichyk
- Newspaper Buy and Sell
- Newspaper The Province (British Columbia)
- Newspaper Vancouver Sun
- Vancouver International Airport – Thanks to Michael Levi (Vancouver)
|Dear Reader,Here I listed the websites, which I used for myself as a newcomer and I think it can make you life in Canada somewhat easier. I will be happy if you could share your experience with useful information for immigrants to Canada.
You can email me with links you want to share with the public. If you want, I can include your name with an appreciation from me, personally, as well as other people, who will find your experience helpful and applicable to their own lives in Canada.
My office location: